Captains defeated by Montclair State

A deflating ending to a three game winning streak
Christopher Newport University logo from Wikimedia Commons

Last Saturday, the Captains lost to Montclair State University 19-14 at TowneBank Stadium. This loss gave the Captains their first loss in conference play, making them 4-1 in conference play and 6-3 for the season. This put a stop to the three-game winning streak the Captains had going before this game.

The game began with a series of punts. Both sides were unable to get into field goal range and open the scoring. Montclair eventually broke the deadlock with a ten play, 60 yard drive that lasted for slightly over six and a half minutes. This touchdown marked the first time that an opponent scored first against the Captains.

The Captains were able to respond with a scoring possession of their own. Back to back completions from senior quarterback Matt Dzierski to sophomore wide receiver Colin Hart and graduate student wide receiver Xander Jedlick put the Captains near midfield. A converted fourth down run by sophomore wide receiver helped keep the drive alive. The nine play, 84-yard drive concluded with a 34-yard touchdown reception from sophomore wide receiver Trey Hayes. This tied the game at 7 apiece.

The Captains defense prevented any additional points from being scored in the half. On a second down play at midfield, a fumble was forced and recovered by junior linebacker Andrew Worsham. This kept the score tied going into the half.

After the intermission, Montclair received the kickoff. Two fourth down conversions put Montclair deep into Captains territory. A 20 play, 80 yard drive ended with a 9-yard touchdown that put Montclair up 13-7.

At the beginning of the fourth quarter, the Captains had the ball. A long 34-yard completion to Hayes put the Captains at the 50-yard line. On a third down in Montclair territory, Dzierski fumbled which was recovered by Montclair. This gave them a chance to extend their lead.

After a three and out from Montclair, the Captains got the football deep into their own territory. On a crucial third down, Dzierski completed a 24-yard pass to Hayes which put the Captains in Montclair territory. The ten play drive ended with a 14-yard reception to sophomore running back Gunner White that gave the Captains a 14-13 lead with five minutes left in the fourth quarter.

On Montclair’s next possession, their offense began to click. Back to back first downs put them deep into Captains territory. On a crucial third and goal, Montclair was able to convert and take the lead. This ended up being the final score of the game, resulting in a 19-14 Montclair victory.

Up next, the Captains (6-3) will face The College of New Jersey (5-4) in Ewing, New Jersey on November 10. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:00 PM. A win would give the Captains their first ever New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) championship and a spot in the 32-team NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2014.