Must watch movies for fall

Staff Writer shares her top fall movies

Watching movies has always been one of my favorite pastimes even as a child, but I especially love movies that fit with the holiday season. Now that Halloween is over, and with Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner, here are my top five favorite movies that you should definitely watch (or rewatch) for the rest of the fall season before Christmas.

1. Matilda

I’m not sure what it is about this movie exactly, but it just gives me fall vibes. I’ve watched the movie throughout all the seasons but find it a much more appealing movie for the fall. Some might say that it’s because the movie was set back in the 1990s but I think that Matilda’s character is extremely humorous and wholesome which gives us those cozy fall vibes. 

1. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

The very first time I watched this movie was when I was at daycare during a Halloween

party. Ever since then, it’s always been my tradition to watch this before the Christmas season. This movie shares a lot of fall activities such as picking pumpkins in the pumpkin patch, raking leaves, and trick or treating. This animation brings a sense of nostalgia every year I watch it and I find it the perfect way to get into the fall spirit. 

1. Little Women

I first saw this movie during fall of last year and since then, this has been one of my all-time favorites to watch during the chilly season. There is just something about the color scheme that was used throughout the movie that made it feel like such a feel-good fall film. Between the states of childhood and adulthood, the movie uses a kind of “golden glow” to showcase the warm embrace of childhood, which is a very symbolic feeling for the starting period of fall.

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Anyone that has seen this movie knows it can probably work for both the fall and Christmas season. In fact, since most of the action in the movie occurs during November, people have even called it a Thanksgiving movie. What I honestly love about this movie is the changing perspective on your typical holiday icons, such as Jack Skellington, who pretends to be Santa Claus, or that Jack wants to celebrate Christmas despite living in Halloweentown. Either way, this movie is best watched between October and the end of December.

1. Coraline

This was one of my all-time favorite movies growing up. I loved the animation style and the character development within the movie. It’s very Halloween-esque style with button eyes, a voodoo doll, and an old and creepy house. Even though one can argue that this movie is specifically meant for Halloween, I think the artistic choices of the movie give off a colder weather vibe with its particularly dark and dreary theme.

I hope you jump right into the fall spirit with these fall movies and if you haven’t already, I suggest you go and watch them (or rewatch them) to get the best out of your fall experience.