Sushi Yoma: a culinary delight

Local sushi restaurant is the place to go
Sushi, from Unsplash

Sushi Yoma is a small sushi place located at 11745 Jefferson Avenue, next to an iHop. Immediately upon entering the restaurant, you feel at ease with its beautiful decor, easing Japanese music, and believe it or not, just how small it is inside. The restaurant’s cozyness plays to its advantage, making it feel like a more personal experience when you eat there. The service is fabulous and the staff are all very friendly. It is a family-run restaurant and you can pick up on that vibe as you watch the chef prepare the sushi.

The food itself is excellent. Don’t let the smaller menu fool you – just like the building, the scale of the menu works in your favor. There is such a unique blend to the types of food available at Sushi Yoma. To start your meal off, you might consider trying the excellent seaweed salad. If you’re not a seaweed or a salad person, then the sashimi (thinly sliced raw fish often eaten with soy sauce) might be up your alley. Going as a group, we had the works – tuna, salmon and caviar, which went well with our meal. There are also all kinds of rolls, and other interesting items on the menu available to satisfy your cravings. Myself, my partner, and my partner’s father tried the Volcano roll, a spicy California roll that was deep fried and covered in sauce. We also sampled a “dancing eel,” an eel roll packed with flavor, and a crawfish roll, which was one of the most unique rolls I have ever tried with sushi. All three were excellent and the whole plate was cleared by the end – always a sign the food was delicious.

Ultimately, this is one of the best sushi places in the area and absolutely a choice to consider when you feel a hankering for sushi, or really any sort of meal.