Will Jim Harbaugh go to the NFL

A question asked by many
Jim Harbaugh image from Wikimedia Commons

Ever since the Michigan Wolverines were crowned National Champions earlier this month, head coach Jim Harbaugh has been linked with a return to the NFL. This is not news for most people as he has been linked with a move away from Michigan for multiple years now. However, the speculation is at an all time high. Two teams have been heavily linked with him over the last week; the Los Angeles Chargers and the Atlanta Falcons.

The Los Angeles Chargers are in need of Harbaugh’s services. Ever since they drafted quarterback Justin Herbert, the Chargers have only reached the playoffs once where they were defeated 31-30 by the Jacksonville Jaguars. This past season, they finished 5-12 which led to the firing of former head coach Brandon Staley. With a franchise quarterback and a solid roster, the hiring of Harbaugh would make the Chargers a threat to the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC West.

The Atlanta Falcons have been the team that has been the most interested in Harbaugh. After finishing 7-10 in the NFC South following some lackluster offensive play, the Falcons dismissed head coach Arthur Smith. As a result of their offensive struggles, the Falcons will also be looking to upgrade at quarterback through the draft or in free agency. This would be the first task asked of Harbaugh if he were hired as head coach. Whether or not he would want to do that remains uncertain.

Despite the NFL rumors, the Michigan Wolverines are making strong efforts to keep their coach. They have given Harbaugh a contract extension that would make him one of the highest-paid coaches in college football. However, according to a report from Yahoo Sports, Harbaugh is seeking a clause that would allow him to not be fired from the Wolverines regardless of what the NCAA finds from either the recruitment or sign-stealing scandals the team has been involved in. This clause makes it difficult to envision Harbaugh returning to the Wolverines for the 2024 season.

Predicting where Jim Harbaugh will be next season is a mystery. While Harbaugh has always expressed a desire to return to the NFL, leaving his alma matter is easier said than done. However, leaving after winning a National Championship would be the best time to do this. If Harbaugh returned to the NFL, he would have a chance to do the one thing he has yet to accomplish as a coach: win the Super Bowl.