Beauty Products Then v.s Now

How much has beauty changed over the years?

Beauty products and practices have changed significantly over the decades. Have you ever wondered what people used when popular brands such as Maybelline and E.L.F. didn’t exist? Here is a list of what people used for beauty products in the 1900’s versus now.

Lemon Juice v.s Toner and Concealer

Around this time period, being pale was all the rage and people would go to extreme lengths to achieve this. This caused people to rub lemon juice all over their skin, which acted as a toner, making their skin look more pale and even. I can’t imagine this sitting too well on skin, considering the fact that lemon juice is highly acidic and not good for pH balancing of the face.

People nowadays use toners from companies such as Paula’s Choice and Glow Recipe to give their skin a more even complexion.

Blotting Paper v.s Highlighter 

Another popular skincare and makeup trend around this time was using papier poudré, a powdered paper/oil blotting sheet to whiten the nose in the winter and shine their cheeks in the summer. This was especially popular for actors starring in movies that were exclusively black and white to give them a lifted and angelic appearance.

Today, people use a highlighter from any brand to apply to the nose, cheeks, and inner corners of the eye to give themselves a glowy appearance. I will admit, I was one of those people who had a highlighter phase in high school and applied it all over my face.

Burnt Matchsticks v.s Mascara/Eyebrow Pomade/Eyeliner

Another technique used in the early 1900’s was burning a match as a way to darken their eyebrows and eyelashes as well as using it as eyeliner. I can’t imagine this being comfortable considering the fact that you are putting something hot on your skin. 

Today we have products like mascara to make your eyelashes look more voluminous, eyebrow pomade to make your eyebrows look more full and darker and eyeliner to add an extra spark to your makeup.

Geranium and Poppy Petals v.s Lip Stain 

People in this time period used natural items, such as geranium and poppy petals to create their own D.I.Y lip stain. Geraniums come in many different colors, so people were able to experiment to create their own colors to match their style.

Today we have lip stains made from many different brands in a variety of different colors.

Lavender Water v.s Perfume

As people were experimenting with beauty, women started to use lavender soaked in water as a perfume. The smell of the lavender was so strong that it was considered watered down perfume at the time. 

Today, many brands have released different scents and types of perfumes that can appeal to anyone. Body mists have also been released for a lighter and buildable scent.