Fun Events from January

Reflecting on January’s Campus Events
CNU Bell Tower, taken by Savannah Dunn

Too often, fun events around campus have been well-kept secrets or quickly forgotten about in the rush of everything going on. This isn’t entirely fair to the people whose energies and passion made all of these events possible, but no more! In this short list I will break down just some of the highlights from the start of our Spring Semester.

• CAB Karaoke

Starting off this list, the Campus Activities Board hosted a karaoke event in the Crows Nest during the first week of classes. For two whole hours people did solos, duets and even more to the tune of just about everything. This was a good time, and so soon into the semester something lowkey like this let people get back into the groove of things.

• Philosophy and Jazz Film Screening

Next up, on Jan. 22nd the Department of Philosophy and Religion hosted a pretty impressive event in the Peebles theater. They had live jazz music as a sort of pre-show throughout the lobby, a film screening of the movie Soul (2020), and a thoughtful discussion afterwards. The best part of this event is that this is just the first of three showings put on by this department this semester, with a screening of Elevator to the Gallows (1958) on Feb. 27th and Mo’ Better Blues (1990) on March 28th.

• Global Quiz Night – Hosted by MENA

Up next is an event from a few eager professors from the Department of Middle East and North African Studies, who tested student’s knowledge on Jan. 26th with a trivia night that was challenging and fun. There were six categories in total: History, Popular culture, World Languages, Literature, Art, and Current Events – guaranteeing that pretty much everyone could show off to their team at least once. All in all, this was a fun event especially with friends that might lead you to learn a thing or two.

• Great American Trials Conference

The Center for American Studies was able to fit in one of their conferences on Jan. 31st, which was open to all students and hosted plenty of incredible speakers. Whether it was a talk about Abraham Lincoln’s law practice, an analysis of presidential impeachment throughout the ages, or a gripping story of espionage and executions – there was a lot there to like.

• Pizza My Mind

PCSE (Physics, Computer Science and Engineering) didn’t disappoint either this January, putting on no less than four separate Pizza My Mind seminars since the first week of classes. By no means unique to January, Pizza My Mind is a series of career and networking lunch seminars for PCSE majors featuring leading organizations that offer internships and career opportunities. Perhaps you’re interested in getting some pizza like me, or if you might be genuinely interested in these job opportunities, either way you’d be best served checking out these events every Thursday in the Gaines Theatre.