Unique Valentine’s Day gifts

Think outside the box this year
Butterfly picture, taken by Katherine Zickel

To some, Valentine’s Day is a fake holiday created by Hallmark. To others, it’s the most romantic day of the year. Whatever way you look at it, think outside the box if you plan on getting someone something. Here is a compilation of the most unique gifts to get your special someone this year. 

1. Beef jerky bouquet 

Flowers? Out. Jerky? In. With enough sticks of beef jerky you can tie it together and make a bouquet. Jerky lasts longer than flowers anyway. Want to make it more of a standout? Put camel jerky or gator jerky in there. However you want to make the bouquet is up to you. Not into jerky? No problem. Jerky is just one of the many things you can make a bouquet out of. Other possible options include using pickles or cheese.

1. Socks with someone’s face on them

Maybe you and your best friend or partner are the matching t-shirt type, but what about matching socks with each other’s faces on them? It’s a little weird, sure, but I guarantee making your person laugh will be all worth it.

1. Commission a funny or unique drawing

If you both want to support an artist and also get your partner a nice gift, commissioning art is always fun. A nice, normal drawing is cool. But what about a drawing or painting of you and your partner as knights or Star Trek characters? Art has always been a great way of showing love.

1. Taxidermy/Specimen

Maybe the person you are gifting likes biology, zoology, or osteology, or maybe they’re just the kind of cool person who wants a preserved octopus in a jar. Plenty of stores, including the Richmond, Virginia based Rest In Pieces sell taxidermied animals, preserved specimens and animal bones that would be the perfect weird and cool gift for your special someone. Also, Feb. 14th is National Organ Donor Day, so giving someone preserved animals or their organs is technically celebrating that holiday too.

1. Humorous Card

“Happy Valentine’s Day, I Love You.” BOOOO basic! Branch out, find a card themed after your partner’s interests or make it funny. A nice card that says “I tolerate you.,” is perfect for your partner or friend who may find that sort of joking meanness funny. Does your partner like long furbies or Star Wars? Go find a card with one of those on it or even better, make your own! This holiday was already a Hallmark invention, you don’t have to give them even more money, be unique!

1. Chocolate soap

Chocolate is cool, germs are not. How about you use one to destroy the other. Amazon and plenty of other sites sell delicious smelling chocolate soap that anyone will love. Just like chocolate, it has different smells and flavors. Warning, do not eat. 

1. Pocket constitution 

You know what’s better than chocolate? Having your rights as an American readily on hand. That’s it. 

1. Decision dice/coin 

Are you and your partner/friend indecisive about things such as where to eat, what to do and who’s turn it is to do this chore? You’re in luck, because there are multiple places online to get decision dice with activities on them, names of places to eat, etc… Or if you are at a disagreement, allow a custom coin with you and your person’s name on them to decide a winner. 

1. Creepy plushies

A stuffed teddy bear is nice, but what about a teddy bear with eight eyes? Or a stuffed blobfish? Or a stuffed appendix? Plushies are a big thing right now and a lot of them will be sold come Valentine’s Day week, so branch out and get the unique ones for your partner that no one else will be getting their special someone.