Puppy Bowl XX

The cutest competition in sports
Photo of a dog on a football field from Unsplash

Before the Kansas City Chiefs took on the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LVIII, Team Ruff faced Team Fluff in the 2024 Puppy Bowl. Kickoff for the Puppy Bowl was at 2:00 PM on Sunday, with Team Ruff claiming victory over Team Fluff. Team Ruff finished with a score of 72-69, as the puppies scored touchdowns by dragging chew toys into the end zone.

The 20th Puppy Bowl featured a record breaking 131 adoptable pups from 73 shelters across 36 states. USA Today reported that for the first time in Puppy Bowl history, six of the furry friends have special needs. These pups include pug terrier Riddle, who has the neurological condition cerebellar hypoplasia and a papillon named Mr. Bean, who has only two hind legs.

With the game tied at 59 in the final two seconds of the game, The Siberian Husky Cookie and Pitbull Terrier mix, got the winning touchdown for Team Ruff. The Australian Shepherd mix Moof, who is also the starter for Team Ruff, was named MVP (Most Valuable Pup) of the Puppy Bowl.

According to the New York Post, officials have only been tracking scores for the last six years, meaning Team Ruff now has a record of 4-3 against Team Fluff. The “Lombarky” trophy was awarded to Team Fluff in 2023 as they eked out an 87-83 victory. Picke, a Pomeranian from Team Fluff, was named MVP that year.

Puppy Bowl XX was conducted by referee Dan Schachner, who has judged the contest for the last 13 years. Schachner presented the trophy to Frankie, a chihuahua poodle mix and Team Ruff captain. The Puppy Bowl aims to raise awareness about adopting pets from shelters and rescuing abandoned animals. The New York Post reports that the game has an 100% adoption rate each year.