Smoke BBQ

Virginia BBQ at its best
The house special at Smoke BBQ, taken by Jarrett Connolly

Virginia barbecue has long been praised as being unique and different from other barbecue regions in the country, and if there’s one place nearby that exemplifies excellent barbecue, it’s Smoke BBQ. Located on 10900 Warwick Blvd, it’s only six minutes from campus. Smoke BBQ looks excellent inside to begin with and you’re immediately greeted with good vibes and smells upon entering. The service is great too, but the food is almost otherworldly good. 

There is a plethora of menu items at Smoke and for many places that’s a red flag, but I can assure you that Smoke does it successfully. They have appetizers such as deviled eggs, mozzarella sticks and salads, as well as your classic main course BBQ dishes, pulled pork, slaw, and brisket. Other options include sandwiches, ribs, brick oven pizzas and banana pudding.

The house burger, while intimidating in size, is a delicious flavor journey that’s juicy and given all the right toppings. The turkey sandwich is smoked perfectly with a fantastic mayo on top. The pulled pork, the ultimate tell all of what makes a BBQ place excellent, was perfect. The special on the day I went was a pulled pork sandwich with fried onions on top. Enjoy your entree with a side of seasoned fries and a drink. Smoke is absolutely worth the price and is in the running to be one of the best BBQ places in the region, possibly in the state of Virginia. 

Smoke is also available for catering and celebrations. You can find out more at their website, https://www.smokenn.com/. The hours for Smoke are 11 am to 9 pm, Sunday through Thursday, and 11 am to 10 pm Friday and Saturday.