Iowa honors Caitlin Clark’s record

A logo for a historic moment in college basketball
Caitlin Clark bringing the ball up in a Big Ten tournament game. Caitlin Clark Big Ten Tournament by John Mac is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 DEED.

On Sunday, when the Iowa Hawkeyes were about to face the Illinois Fighting Illini, a logo was revealed. The logo included “CLARK” with her jersey number, 22, outlined in gold. It was placed where Clark sank her record breaking three-pointer against Michigan on Feb. 15. 

The made three-pointer pushed Clark passed Kelsey Plum to become the leader of the NCAA Division I women’s basketball scoring list. This historic moment was one of many highlights of the night for the Hawkeyes as they defeated Michigan 109-86.

During Iowa’s game against Illinois, Clark continued her dominant season as she recorded 24 points, 15 rebounds, and 10 assists in a 101-85 victory. The win put Iowa at a 24-4 record for the season as they continue to make their push for a National Championship.

Caitlin Clark has another chance to make history. With two games remaining in the regular season, Clark has a chance to accomplish something bigger than last week’s memorable evening: become college basketball’s all-time leading scorer. With “Pistol Pete” Maravich sitting at 3,667 career points and Clark at 3,617, there is a path for it to happen.

While Maravich’s record has stood for a number of years, it was inevitable that the record was going to be broken. This is largely due to the fact that the three-point line did not exist in Maravich’s career coupled with the fact that freshmen were not allowed to play on varsity teams until the 1972-1973 season. In college, Maravich averaged 44.2 points per game in 83 games played as a collegiate athlete and 44.5 per game as a senior.

This record will likely be broken soon. Clark was averaging 32.4 points per game heading into Sunday’s contest and has scored 35 or more points in five out of her last eight contests. She is currently on track to break it during the final game of the season against Ohio State on Mar. 3.

Although the game has changed greatly since Maravich played, seeing Clark break a long-standing record would be one of the most historic sporting moments in recent memory. With the one-and-done era plaguing men’s college basketball, many would have thought that the record would have stood for many more years. However, Clark’s steady rise to stardom at the collegiate level could also influence men’s college basketball players to stay in school until they are ready for the NBA instead of declaring immediately after their freshman year.

View Comments (1)