For the win!

The top 10 biggest moments in Olympic history
The refugee Olympic team arriving to Rio for the 2016 Summer Olympics. Rio 2016 Refugees by Fernando Frazão is licensed under CC BY 3.0 BR DEED.

The Olympic is no doubt one of the most incredible collections of sports in the world. Every country’s top athletes come together to discover the best of the best in any given activity. However, it was not always as organized as it is today. From the beginning of the Olympics to the modern era, the event has come a long way. Here is a look at some of the biggest events that occurred to give us the Olympics we know and love today.

• The first ever Olympics: 776 BC

The first ever Olympics was held in Greece on the land of Olympia which is what the Olympics was named after. However, women could not compete in these games just yet.

• Modern Olympics: 1896

In Athens, Greece, the first modern Olympic games included only nine sports. However, winners of these sports did not win medals like today. Instead, winners received an olive branch, silver medal, and diploma. Second place winners received a copper medal, a laurel branch, and diploma.

• Three levels of medals: 1904

In Canada, this was where the first Olympics included three levels of medals; gold, silver and bronze. Canada sent its first team to the Olympic games, which consisted of a lacrosse team that were all Mohawk nation players.

• The longest Olympic games: 1908

The 1908 Olympic games were originally scheduled to be held in Rome. However, the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius halted everything which led to the Olympics moving locations. This resulted in the games lasting a whopping six months and four days – the longest lasting Olympics in history! The closing ceremony was then held on Halloween.

• The big screen: 1936

In Berlin, Germany, the Olympics made their grand appearance on local TV. The story that made their presence known on televisions was runner Jesse Owens who won four gold medals. This Olympics was also the first games where the torch relay occurred. In the relay, the torch was seen being carried from Olympia, Greece to the site of the games.

• Canada hosted the Olympics: 1976

For the first time in history in 1976, the Olympics were held in Canada. Most of the events took place in Montreal and Quebec. Many of the buildings for the Olympics in this location are still used today.

• Women from all around: 2012

In the 2012 Olympics held in London, England, a huge accomplishment was achieved. For the first time in history, women from every country competed in the Olympics. Saudi Arabia had its first female athletes compete in the Olympics, one being a 16-year-old named Wojdan Shaherkani who competed in judo.

• Women learning to fly: 2014

Up until 2014, the ski jumping competition was a mens-only sport. However, in the 2014 Olympics held in Sochi, Russia, women’s ski jumping was finally introduced.

• The refugee team: 2016

In the 2016 Olympics which were held in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, history was made. For the first time in Olympic history, a team of refugee athletes from all around the world competed under the Olympic flag. This team of 10 athletes came from places such as South Sudan, Ethiopia, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), and Syria.

• Bobsledding: 2018

In the 2018 Olympic games hosted in Pyeongchang, South Korea, the women’s Nigerian bobsled team made history by becoming Africa’s first Olympic bobsledders.