“Kant Stop Talking!”

Department of Philosophy welcomes recently declared majors
Students at the Philosophy luncheon, taken by Cameron Tomaino

Last week, The Captain’s Log had the opportunity to attend the annual luncheon for the Department of Philosophy and Religion that welcomes the recently declared majors in Philosophy. At this luncheon, professors and graduating seniors intermingled with the sophomores who had just declared their major with some special guests from other organizations on campus deeply involved in the department.

The experience allowed professors to explain to these new students the sheer amount of opportunities outside of the classroom within the major. When asked, Dr Elizabeth Jelinik was happy to share just some of what the Philosophy department would be getting up to throughout the year. She pointed out that the department is very busy across campus: holding regular pizza cafes, hosting insightful panels with Christopher Newport University alumni and putting on tea socials in their offices every Tuesday. The philosopher’s honor society, Phi Sigma Tau, also hosts more events.

However, students emphasized the department’s courses were just as important. Senior Cailyn Moffitt explained that by taking classes on epistemology, the philosophy of knowledge, she has come away with new ideas especially as it relates to her future career as an educator. “[Those courses] made it easier to think about how others think and learn, and that’s helped me alot to prepare to be a teacher… it’s given me a lot of perspective,” she said.

When asked about her memorable experiences in the major, senior Keelin Dvorak shared her extensive involvement in the department, such as working in the department’s office and running the “Kant Stop Talking” organization as their president. “The most notable thing [however], is that as a student, I’m invited to events like the new majors luncheon and signing days. We incorporate students into all events [no matter what grade]. It’s really the community that has been the most memorable to me in the department,” she said. 

Dvorak went on to say that the professors in the department are also very welcoming, supportive and willing to provide students with research opportunities, including her involvement in the Summer Scholars program. The Office of Research and Creative Activity’s (ORCA) Summer Scholar program is a mentor/mentee experience that benefits from strong bonds between student and professor, and many attending students have been Summer Scholars at some point.

Anna Schopfel, a recently declared philosophy major, explained some of her reasons behind that choice. “I have always had a million different passions and interests… there’s philosophy in every discipline [and] it helps with understanding things with a critical lens… [there’s also] basic life skills and approaches that it equips you for,” she said.

At this luncheon, there was enthusiasm no matter who you talked to about Philosophy, both the department and the discipline. Events like these are traditions that build and reinforce a sense of community felt by students and professors alike.