Meal Plan Mixology

Staff writer shares recipes for the spring
Cocktail drink, taken by Audrey Johns

Who doesn’t love having a little beverage treat to sip on throughout the day? But when you’re out of dining dollars to spend at Einsteins, what do you do? Between the cost of buying a bunch of drinks and flavorings and keeping large bottles for small recipe amounts, it can be difficult to start mixing in your own mocktails in your dorm. Here are some options for mocktails you can make and take to-go during your trip to the dining halls.

Shirley Temple

The Shirley Temple is by far the most popular mocktail, and one of the simplest to make. While this recipe may not be the best version of the classic drink, it is certainly delicious. The minute you see the Strawberry slushie at Commons, be sure to try it out. 

• ¾ cup Commons Strawberry Slushie
  • ¼ cup Starry

Arnold Palmer

An Arnold Palmer is another staple drink for many, and there’s no reason to be spending extra money buying it from the grocery store. On your next trip to Regattas, stock up on the Lipton Tea near the ice cream station and some lemonade near the cereal, so the next time you want to chill on the Great Lawn, you’ll have a refreshing beverage by your side.

• ½ cup Regattas Lipton Tea
  • ½ cup Lemonade

The Sunrise

Similar to a Cosmopolitan, The Sunrise features the tart taste of cranberry. However, the sweetness of the orange juice makes the perfect balance. In fact, if you layer it just right with the cranberry on the bottom, Starry in the middle, and orange juice on top, you’ll get a beautiful gradient, hence the name, “Sunrise.”

• ⅓ cup Cranberry juice
  • ⅓ cup Starry
  • ⅓ cup Orange Juice

Gummy Bear 

If you love gummy candies, or just sugar in general, you’ll love this unusual combo. While the sweetness may be too much for some, those with a sweet tooth or a love for Cherry Pepsi, will enjoy this candy inspired mixture.

•  ½ cup Cherry Pepsi
  • ½ cup Tropicana Pink Lemonade
  • Splash of Cranberry juice

Virgin Sangria

Sangria is the quintessential summer drink, and in order to make sure everyone can enjoy it this summer, here is a recipe for a delicious virgin version. The grape and orange juice will sweeten up the drink, but the bitterness of a classic Sangria will still have you picturing a beautiful Spanish beach while lying out in the Newport News sun.

• ⅓ cup Grape Juice
  • ⅓ cup Cranberry Juice
  • ⅙ cup Orange Juice
  • ⅙ cup Starry

Mango Twist

For those who love mango, this slushie mix elevates its delicious taste. The Passion Fruit Guava mix from Commons gives the mango slushie a twist that keeps you sipping. Make sure you pick one up to-go after your lunch for a sweet treat on your way to class.

• ½ Commons Mango Slushie
  • ½ Commons Passion Fruit Guava mix 
  • Splash of Apple Juice

Sidecar Mocktail

Based on the famous Sidecar Cocktail, this virgin version is a more fruity version of an Arnold Palmer. The tangy citrus in the orange juice blends with the sweet tea, making the perfect drink for warmer weather.

• ⅓ cup Orange Juice
  • 2/6 cup Starry
  • ⅙ Regattas Lipton Tea
  • Splash of Lemonade