Seek help for your college career

An Interview with the Director of the Center for Career Planning
Sarah Hobgood, Director of CCP at CNU, taken from the Staff Directory CNU Website

Are you a freshman worrying about which major to declare in a year, or a senior who needs your resume sharpened? Regardless of the position you’re in, the Center for Career Planning has you covered. 

Sarah Hobgood, Director of the Center for Career Planning (CCP) discussed the benefits of scheduling appointments with the CCP. She mentioned the earlier a student seeks their help in their college career, the better of an outcome they may achieve. Hobgood recommended that freshmen schedule appointments as soon as they can, as it is vital to be intentional about their classes, especially before Signing Day in the spring semester of their sophomore year. However, she also encouraged Christopher Newport University students of any class standing to schedule an appointment, ideally at least once a year. 

Often enough, I overhear students complaining about having difficulty landing internships. When asked how students can obtain internships easier, Hobgood noted how CNU’s classes tend to be very good about being project-based; allowing students to work hands-on within their classes on projects with a wide variety of perspectives. This allows students to build connections with students and professors, expand on their creativity and develop leadership skills. 

Hobgood highly recommended students look more into the Short High Impact Program (SHIP). The SHIP program allows students to work with either a small business or nonprofit in a field in which the student is considering. These positions are posted on Handshake, social media and emails. This is CNU’s fourth year participating in the program, allowing students to work remotely or hybrid, providing flexibility. 

Hobgood noted that expressing your preferences on Handshake enables “search alert emails” based on your interests. Although some internships may not be specifically posted on Handshake, scheduling an appointment with the Center for Career Planning may help you get in contact with an alumni. She stated that she wanted CNU students to “just take that first step to reach out to our office and we’ll take it from there!”