Hydration for Humanity:

HerCampus collects reusable water bottles for Natasha House
HerCampus flyer, taken by / TheCaptainsLog

It’s that time of year again to start on your spring cleaning. Now’s the perfect time to rummage through your drawers and cabinets and sort out any items that you may not need anymore.

HerCampus, Christopher Newport University’s organization dedicated to empowering, celebrating and guiding college women, is hosting an event called Hydration for Humanity. The organization asks that when you do your spring cleaning, if you have any reusable water bottles you want to get rid of, consider bringing them to select locations to donate.

Starting this week, there will be bins located in each Residence Hall (except East Campus and Rappahannock River Hall) as well as in the David Student Union on the first floor. These bins will be out now all the way until the week before finals. 

HerCampus asks that if you are wanting to donate reusable water bottles to make sure that they don’t contain any form of mold and are free from significant damage that would prevent them from being purposeful. All collected water bottles will be carefully washed and donated to the Natasha House in Yorktown.

President of HerCampus, Junior Allison Bryan, explains that, “We’re not looking to gain anything out of this ourselves, but rather hoping to make a positive impact in the lives of others through a campus act of sustainability.” 

The HerCampus organization is hoping to use their platform and service to make an impact on those outside of the CNU community to better the lives of others. 

The Marketing Chairs of HerCampus, Senior Chaeli Brooks and Sophomore Claire Hall, share their vision about why they wanted to create this event. Brooks got the idea based on the idea that during spring cleaning, people often throw out things they don’t need anymore. Instead of throwing them away, why not recycle them?

“I feel that [this event] is a lot more sustainable because it gives [items] a second purpose for someone in need to use them. I have a passion for supporting sustainable causes that solve issues such as access to clean water,” she said.

HerCampus thanks everyone who has either donated or will be donating their water bottles to this cause. Let’s help out the community and bring hydration to humanity!