Over or six feet under

The death of ” The Price is Right” host, Bob Barker
Photo from Panola Watchman
Photo from Panola Watchman

Bob Barker, the longtime host of the game show “The Price is Right,” passed away at his home in Los Angeles on Saturday at 99 years old. Barker was the face of the iconic competition for nearly four decades and was a major part of daytime television for more than half a century between hosting “Truth or Consequences” from 1956 to 1974 and “The Price is Right” from 1972 to 2007. In his tenure, Barker won 14 Daytime Emmy Awards as host, four as an executive producer, and then won a Lifetime Emmy Award in 1999. According to the New York Times, Barker was also involved in many other shows and movies during his career and often appeared as a dramaticized, cartoonish version of himself which is most evident in the movie “Happy Gilmore” where he made a cameo alongside comedian Adam Sandler. He frequently hosted and covered the Rose Bowl Parade and the Pillsbury Bake-Off in the 70s and 80s. He even voiced a character on “Spongebob Squarepants” in 2015 named ‘Bob Barnacle’.

“The Price is Right” is one of the most well known American game shows that entire generations of families have enjoyed and participated in. Contestants compete by guessing the prices of random retail items and merchandise from pool tables to cars and vacation trips. According to TV Insider, it’s the longest running game show in U.S. history and has aired over 9000 episodes since its debut. Bob Barker was and still is considered a staple of American television and used a combination of humor and compassionate charm to support contestants and lead an engaging show that makes a difference in people’s lives.

Barker was also known for being an advocate for animal rights. He protested the abuse of animals by their trainers on different movie and tv show sets. In 1988, these convictions over the humane treatment of animals led him to quit from being the master of ceremonies for Miss Universe and Miss USA when they started giving away fur coats as prizes. According to the Society of Nonprofits, Barker established the DJ&T Foundation which focuses on stopping the problem of animal overpopulation. It funds low-cost neuter and spay clinics and voucher programs. At the end of every showing of “The Price is Right,” Barker would sign off by saying, “Help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered.” 

According to The New York Times, Bob Barker is survived by his friend Nancy Burnet (an animal activist who had been caring for him) and his half brother Kent Valandra. Even though he has passed, there is no doubt that “The Price is Right” will continue to be a fixture in American households and Barker’s legacy will live on.