One last summer in Margaritaville

Singer Jimmy Buffett passed away at 76

It is a sad day for Parrotheads and everyone else who enjoyed Jimmy Buffett’s music at some point in their life. The musical icon, best known for his genre of island escapism and tropical beats, died this past Sunday. He died at his home in Sag Harbor, New York on Friday, September 1, 2023 surrounded by his family, friends, and dogs according to a statement on his official website. A spokesperson for Buffett also revealed on the website that the cause of death was Merkel cell skin cancer which he had been fighting for 4 years. Mayo Clinic states that “Merkel cell carcinoma is a rare type of skin cancer that usually appears as a flesh-colored or bluish-red nodule, often on your face, head or neck.” It often appears in older individuals and can be a result of long-term sun exposure. However, he never let this disease prevent him from pursuing his dreams as he continued to perform up until this past July in Rhode Island. 

With a career spanning over fifty decades Jimmy Buffett established himself as a man of many talents and trades. He was not just a singer and songwriter, but also a sailor, author, and entrepreneur turned successful businessman. He is probably best known for hit songs like “Margaritaville” and “It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere” that elicit a picture perfect paradise of beach, summer, and relaxation along with the rest of his discography. His unique genre of music is described as “Gulf and Western” by The New York Times since he was heavily influenced by the Caribbean and Key West which is where he first started singing in public.

Though he’s best known for his music, Buffett was also an accomplished journalist and author. He wrote for Billboard Magazine before becoming famous and had three No. 1 bestsellers on The New York Times fiction and nonfiction list, one of only six writers to accomplish this feat. Buffett also dived headfirst into the world of business and was not afraid to establish himself as an entrepreneur, which proved to be successful since he has a net worth of about 1 billion. Most of his revenue actually comes from his clever branding and business techniques which he used to create Margaritaville inspired restaurants, hotels, and personal merchandise and products such as Land Shark Beer. He proved to the world that he was so much more than a musician and deserving of every accolade that came his way.

According to his website, Jimmy Buffett never took himself too seriously as an artist and person and said that “the job of singing for a living was descended from the profession of a court jester.” Jimmy Buffet is survived by his wife of 46 years, Jane Buffet, their three children, devoted dogs, and his many extended family members.