After all this time? Always

Michael Gambon, best known as Dumbledore, passed away at 82
Picture of Michael Gambon from IMDb
Picture of Michael Gambon from IMDb

It has been a sad week for Harry Potter fans as Michael Gambon, best known for playing Professor Albus Dumbledore in six of the Harry Potter films, passed away on Wednesday, September 27 at the age of 82. His family confirmed his death in a statement released by Gambon’s publicist. “We are devastated to announce the passing of Sir Michael Gambon,” the statement said. “Beloved husband and father, Michael died peacefully in hospital with his wife Anne and son Fergus at his bedside.” 

Though his role in the Harry Potter franchise catapulted him to international acclaim, Gambon had been acting for decades beforehand and was considered one of Britain’s greatest actors. The Irish actor was knighted in 1998 and won three Olivier Awards, four BAFTA Awards, two SAG Awards, and was nominated for two Emmy Awards within his six decade career. Before Harry Potter, he was best known for his leading role in the 1986 BBC series, “The Singing Detective,” which became a classic British drama and he won the BAFTA for Best Actor for his role. Other credits include “The King’s Speech”, “Path to War,” and the play “Life of Galileo” where he portrayed the title character. 

Gambon took over the role of Dumbledore in “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” after the original Dumbledore, Richard Harris, passed away in 2002. He was famously known for never reading any of the books, saying instead that he likes to rely on the scripts fully, but his portrayal of the wise and loving headmaster is still incredible and left a lasting legacy on the character. Many Harry Potter stars have shared wonderful tributes for the actor. “Michael Gambon was one of the most brilliant, effortless actors I’ve ever had the privilege of working with,” Daniel Radcliffe said in a statement to Variety. “He loved his job, but never seemed defined by it. His habit of blurring the lines of fact and fiction when talking to journalists meant that he was also one of the most entertaining people with whom you could ever wish to do a press junket.” Emma Watson took to Instagram to share her thoughts. “Kind, kind, kind Michael Gambon,” she wrote. “You never took it too seriously but somehow always delivered the most serious moments with gravitas. Thank you for showing us what it looks like to wear greatness lightly. We will miss you.”

Though the loss of another Harry Potter actor, especially one so significant, is extremely upsetting, Dumbledore himself once offered up a quote in “The Prisoner of Azkaban” that is a lovely reminder to always keep going. “Happiness can be found in even the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”