Child’s Play movies ranked

Get ready for the spooky season with this iconic franchise

With SYFY’s Chucky series returning for a 3rd season, let’s take a look back into the films that inspired the series and rank the movies of everyone’s favorite killer doll.

8.Seed of Chucky

This entry into the franchise relies strongly on humor more than horror and often tries too hard to be meta by having Jennifer Tilly, who plays Chucky’s killer doll wife Tiffany, play a fictionalized version of herself as well. It has its moments but it ultimately turns into a bit of a mess. But the introduction of Chucky and Tiffany’s genderfluid child Glen/Glenda was a great addition to the franchise and a nice addition to the TV series as well.

7.Child’s Play (2019)

If you forget that this movie is a remake of Child’s Play, it’s not a terrible watch. It’s more like a precursor to M3GAN with Chucky, voiced by Mark Hamill rather than Brad Dourif, being a malfunctioning robot toy rather than a doll possessed by a serial killer. It’s not a bad film on its own, but as an entry into the Child’s Play franchise, it misses out on all the characterization of Chucky and mysticism that makes the films fun. 

6.Child’s Play 3

The film’s only real crime is that it’s too similar to the second one and ultimately kind of forgettable. This one has a teenage Andy, one of the franchise’s main protagonists, sent to a military school where Chucky follows him. But it hits all the right notes on what makes this franchise work and still worth the watch if you enjoy the character of Chucky and the first two films. 

5.Bride of Chucky

Bride of Chucky veers the franchise into black comedy, providing both laughs and scares. It introduces the viewers to Chucky’s killer companion Tiffany Valentine, who is also turned into a doll. The two go on a wild rampage that doesn’t forget its horror roots while still trying to make the audience laugh. 

4.Cult of Chucky

Cult of Chucky sticks the killer doll in the confines of a mental asylum and explores other elements of the Chucky story, such as him being a master manipulator of friends and enemies and the elements of possession that cause him to become a doll in the first film. It’s brutal and fun all at once, leaning into comedy when it works.

3.Child’s Play 2

Child’s Play 2 is probably the most violent of the films but it’s the perfect horror sequel by putting Andy in an unfamiliar place, foster care, and no access to his loved ones from the first movie. He has to convince his foster sister Kyle, who ended up becoming a horror icon, of the truth. Chucky is more nasty than ever and it’s terrifying to see his determination as a villain.

2.Curse of Chucky

After Seed of Chucky, the franchise remained in limbo for years before this movie came along and hit reset. It pulled Chucky out of comedy and made him back into a horror force of nature (while still keeping with the timeline). It’s dark and violent. It introduces a new protagonist in the form of Nina Pierce, who does her best to fight Chucky off while being disabled. It has plenty of scares and moments that will remind you just how scary that doll can be. 

1.Child’s Play (1989)

The best is right back where it all began. We see the origin of Chucky and how he became the killer doll. Chucky is a force of nature and the way the film is shot through his perspective as well is done incredibly. The film is genuinely scary and still is almost 34 years later. Not to mention the legacy it left of instilling a fear of dolls into generations after.