What to make of “Quiet On Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV”

The Nickelodeon shows you watched growing up aren’t as innocent as you remember

On March 17, 2024, HBO’s streaming service Max released a four-part documentary series called Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV. The series follows the devastating stories of the main producers behind Nickelodeon’s most popular shows. These producers include Jason Handy, Brain Peck, and most notably, Dan Schnieder. Quiet on Set has been the talk amongst social media since its release weeks ago on Max. Millions have tuned in to find the answer to the looming question: What really happened behind the scenes? 

Schneider is known as the infamous creator behind our favorite childhood TV shows on Nickelodeon such as The Amanda Show, Drake and Josh, iCarly, Victorious, and Sam and Cat. Whispers of his alleged behavior have been noted more significantly within the past five years, but the avalanche of allegations arose at the peak of the #MeToo movement in 2017. This docu-series highlights the daunting experiences child actors, writers, and other crew members dealt with at the hands of Dan Schneider’s alleged toxic environment. 

The producers wasted no time within the first few minutes of the docu-series highlighting Schnieder’s rise to success. Once a boy from Memphis who was told he’d never make it, Schnieder landed a role at the age of nineteen on a TV series called Head of the Class. The docu-series noted how a Nickelodeon producer saw his potential and asked Schnieder to write the pilot episode of a new TV program called All That. This was the catalyst for Schneider’s successful career with Nickelodeon. Upon being hired, Schnieder rapidly rose as one of the star writers for the children’s television show company. The breakout in his career occurred with the creation of The Amanda Show, where, for the first time, Schnieder was listed as the sole creator of the popular TV show. Former child actors and former writers who decided to come forward on Quiet on Set noted how Schnieder and Amanda Bynes, being a child at this time, had an oddly close relationship where Bynes would allegedly spend a long time in his office pitching story ideas and writing episodes. Female writers on The Amanda Show initially thought writing for a TV show where the main character was a young girl would mean an uplifting work environment for women, but many female writers said working for Schnieder was one of the most disturbing experiences of their lives. A recurring instance is how Schnieder would beg for massages on set. These massage came from writers, producers, set designers, costume designers, and even child actors such as Amanda Bynes. 

A recurring theme I noticed while watching this unsettling docu-series was how many adults noticed Schnieder’s concerning behavior, but no one had reported him to the higher-ups of Nickelodeon. This was especially alarming since it is one of the most successful children’s television networks of all time. Additionally, many sexual themes were hidden throughout most of his shows targeting female characters, namely specific scenes in Zoey 101 and Victorious. Many parents who were interviewed as a part of this process in Quiet on Set noted they were afraid to speak on behalf of their children out of fear of ruining their children’s careers and dreams.

The docu-series jumped from Schnieder’s faults to two convicted sex offenders who were employed by Nickelodeon. Jason Handy and Brian Peck were highlighted as supporters of Schnieder and well-respected employees of Nickelodeon. The production skimmed Handy’s conviction, noting evidence of child pornography. The second-largest story of Quiet on Set followed Brian Peck, who after careful research, I learned he is not related to actor Josh Peck from Drake and Josh. Peck was a vocal coach hired by Nickelodeon, where a sexual assault case against a minor arose in the early 2000s. The minor was unknown until Quiet on Set was released, where the nearly twenty-year mystery was answered. Drake and Josh actor Drake Bell came forward as the victim of the case in the early 2000s. This came as a shock to the viewers, including myself, as we had not known who the victim was until that very moment. 

The fourth episode concluded with commentators in the show saying “Dan was Nickelodeon’s ‘golden boy’”, noting the company’s prolonged stalemate. As I explained earlier, the downfall of Schnieder began at the height of the #MeToo movement, when Nickelodeon turned its attention to the toxic environment and inappropriate behavior of Schnieder. 

Overall, I found Quiet on Set very entertaining and well worth the watch. My roommates and I binge-watched the whole series within one night and have not stopped talking about it since. It is obvious that Dan Schnieder was not the only problem, but Nickelodeon only aided him in becoming an antagonist since the company protected their so-called “golden boy” for over twenty years.

A bonus episode is due to be released in April 2024.