Captains Defeat Rowan in Conference Opener


Last Saturday, the Captains began New Jersey Athletic Conference play against Rowan University. After a big win on Family Weekend, the Captains wanted to continue that excellent level of play in this game. Although the score was not as convincing as last week, the Captains began conference play with a win against Rowan University, 20-14.


The Captains began the game on offense. Their first drive finished with a 34 yard completion to freshman running back Colin Hart that gave the Captains an early lead.


On Rowan’s first possession, they were able to move the ball into Captains territory. However, a fourth down running play was stopped which gave the Captains the football at their own 28 yard-line.


Two punts from both teams kept the score at 6-0 to end the first quarter. Rowan’s second punt resulted in a near disaster for the Captains as a fumble from freshman wide receiver Trey Hayes was luckily recovered by the Captains. A big 65 yard completion to Colin Hart put the Captains at Rowan’s 2 yard-line and ended with a rushing touchdown from junior quarterback Matt Dzierski that extended the Captains lead to 13-0.


After the touchdown, the Captains defense managed to keep the lead at 13-0 throughout the second quarter. A punt followed by an interception from freshman defensive back Yasir Geter kept Rowan scoreless at halftime.


Another punt from Rowan’s offense to start the second half gave the Captains the ball. What was looking like another punt from the Captains offense changed quickly when a roughing the kicker penalty on Rowan gave the Captains a first down and a chance to keep the possession going. An electric 61-yard touchdown run from Matt Dzierski gave the Captains a 20-0 lead.


After the Captains defense forced the Rowan offense to punt, Matt Dzierski fumbled on the next possession, giving Rowan the ball deep into Captains territory. The defense forced a goal line stand and a turnover on downs that gave the Captains offense the football back.


After a punt that ensued the turnover on downs, Rowan got the ball to start the fourth quarter. The shutout bid ended with a touchdown that cut the lead to 20-7. After another punt from the Captains, Rowan got the ball with a chance to make it a one possession game. However, the Captains defense forced another goal line stand and kept it a two possession game.


On the Captains next possession, their punt was blocked, putting Rowan at the Captains 9 yard-line. This time, they converted at the goal line and trimmed the lead to 20-14.


With just under six minutes left, the Captains managed to pick up two first downs, one being a fourth down conversion just inside Rowan territory. This was enough to run out the clock and prevent Rowan’s bid at a comeback, giving the Captains the win and improving their record to 3-2.


Up next, the Captains (3-2) will face Kean University in Union, New Jersey on October 15. Kickoff is scheduled for 12:00 PM.