SGA Open Forum

Communication might be the key to campus safety

The Student Government Association (SGA)  is pushing for student advocacy and presenting itself as a listening body. To do so SGA held an open forum centered around Campus Safety Concerns. 

A major topic of discussion was the gunshots reported near the David Student Union following the fire alarm being pulled in James River Hall on November 28th, 2023. Students brought concerns of increasing security measures, promoting personal responsibility and trust in the institution, and providing more specific training for students. The goal of the forum was for students to share their ideas of ways to improve the institution’s safety.

There was discussion on the possible ramp construction in Trible Plaza, but no administration was present to confirm. Frustrations were then expressed with the University’s communication on projects or initiatives. So far the Kelly administration has been working hard to elevate student voices and concerns, but there still seems to be some disconnect. Forum attendees were left to wonder what the next steps could be. Are student leaders asking the right questions to promote positive change on campus? Students are concerned about safety, but is CNU limited as a public institution?

“Overall, I thought the forum was really good. There were a lot of good ideas that were expressed by people here and it’s good to hear people actively thinking about this, thinking about solutions, wanting to take things to administration,” says Aidan Rucker, a CNU senior who serves as the President for the Captain’s Emergency Response Organization. 

During the forum, Rucker says, “There is not a solid messaging system for middle-ground situations.” He added the factor of FOIA-exempt information. This type of information cannot be obtained by anyone outside of the Threat Assessment Committee. “That’s why [the student body] will hit a lot of limitations and it will feel like you have hit a wall.”

Concluding the meeting Mckenzie Hurley, Junior, suggests taking advantage of current opportunities and spreading the message of preparedness. However Katherine Grant, Junior, expresses a want for the administration to address the issues and bring to light nationwide Title IX and Campus Safety issues.