Out of the Darkness

CNU students and fellow community members walk for Suicide Awareness

CNU Students walking to support mental health Photo from Captain’s Log Staff

*trigger warning: does contain sensitive topics such as self harm and suicide*

Sunday April 2nd marked an important day where CNU students and fellow community members walked around campus to raise awareness about suicide. The event started at 11am at CNU Hall with many people checking in and grabbing honor beads based on a personal connection to the cause. The beads were important in order to identify others who understand our experiences. There were colors such as teal, for if someone you knew was struggling, green, if you yourself was struggling, and blue for supporting suicide prevention. After signing in, there were many tables filled with resources and guides from the Sarah Michelle Peterson Foundation, Riverside Behavioral Health Clinic, and CNU Counseling Services to help promote suicide prevention and offer support if you or someone you know is struggling. Once everyone had signed in, speakers from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Club here at CNU, opened up the event with a small speech about the importance of suicide awareness. A few CNU students then shared about their personal experiences with the topic of suicide and the importance of reaching out to someone. After a few closing remarks, a walk was started around campus, people holding up signs to raise awareness about this important issue. 

The Out of the Darkness Campus Walks are the AFSP’s signature student fundraising series, designed to engage youth and young adults in the fight to prevent suicide, a leading cause of death.The CNU Campus Walk for suicide prevention raised about $8,925 dollars and will be remembered  as journeys of remembrance that unite our community. This is a time to to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and our loved ones and to advocate for more suicide awareness in our communities to spread the word that you are not alone. If you or someone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide or self harm, there are a list of resources below to reach out to. 

CNU PD: (757) 594-7777

CNU Counseling Services:  (757) 594-7661

Riverside Behavioral Health Center: 757-888-0400

National Suicide Hotline: 988 (Available 24 hours)